We will be camping at Long Hunter Park on Percy Priest Lake. We’ll backpack in to the campsite Saturday morning, so plan on primitive camping. For new Scouts some things to start thinking about.
1. You MUST have a backpack. If you don’t have one, you can find them at Academy, Dicks, Gander Mountain, Bass Pro. We found looking at them in person then purchasing online can save money. Shop Amazon, Ebay, Campmor.com The many many reviews you can read on Amazon helps a lot. And the Boys Life Magazine just had an article about backpack buying. Click here
2. You MUST have good hiking shoes, NOT heavy boots, good hiking shoes will do good. Easy to find at sporting goods stores etc…
3. Plan to pack light, do reading on packing for backpacking, and food packing.
4. You should have a water filter, I like this one from Amazon, Click here, Water Filter
5. Very lighweight tent, tarp or hammock. Academy has a low cost 1 man tent for $25.oo, super light. Click here
More info to come!
Check out the great photos from Summer Camp! Looks like they had an awesome time!
Many thanks to Jeff T, Patrick B, and Donna T for sharing their photos.
Find more photos, of many Troop events, in the “photo gallery” on the toolbar.
All, just a quick reminder, the Boy Scout Meeting on Monday 6/15 is a PLC meeting, NOT a regular meeting.
You only need to attend if you are on a PLC committee or in a leadership position.
We are meeting at 6:30pm
If you would like to send mail to your Scout this next week, here is the address. Keep in mind you should send the letter early in the week (Mon or Tues) in order for him to receive it before he leaves camp on Friday.
There is mail call each day at lunch.
Camp Stahlman – Troop 422 – Site 11
Your Scout’s Name
1260 Creighton Lane
Lebanon, TN 37087
Please plan to arrive promptly at 12 noon on Sunday to check in your Scout’s medications.
If you are sending medication for a Scout to take during summer camp, they must be placed in a zip-lock bag along with the medication check-in paper (see file link below) showing the Scouts’s name, the name & dosage of the drug, and specific instructions on when the medication is to be administered.
Medication should be in the original pharmacy bottle. Over-the-counter medication should be in it’s original purchase bottle. This should be given to the lead adult attending the event at the time of departure.
LOOSE or unlabeled medication will NOT be accepted for any reason.
Scouts should know and understand how & when to take their medications & should seek out the adult leader at the appropriate times.
There is a Camp Nurse on staff at all times, during Summer Camp, to assist with all questions & needs.
2015 Summer Camp Med check-in form
Hi, as you are planning what you’ll wear to Summer Camp, you’ll want to look at the weather forecast for Gallatin TN, not Smyrna. It’s far enough away that weather can be quite different.
Also, be sure to bring a coat hanger to hang up your Class A uniform every day. A simple wire hanger will work great.
Need rain gear? I was at Walmart today and they have a decent selection of vinyl, nylon and the Frogg Togg brand rain gear. Back in sporting goods in the camping aisles.
One suggestion for summer camp to help your Scout stay insect free. Your Scout can pack clothes for each day in a zip lock bag (shirt and shorts), label it for the day, and put a squirt or two of Permethrin spray inside and presto. DO NOT APPLY PERMETHRIN TO UNDERWEAR.
You can get Permethrin at Walmart, see an example here,